Report | Yeates heads Southampton back to winning ways

Jane Yeates heads in the only goal against Buckland Athletic

Southampton Women's bounced back to winning ways with their first-ever win over Buckland Athletic at the Bypass Ground.

Jane Yeates found the net in the first half, her header getting the best of Abigail Bond, however, the striker came straight off due to an injury.

Both sides searched for more goals but the defences held and Buckland returned empty-handed as Southampton's 1-0 win saw them back into second.

Despite the first look at Hurricane Humberto in the morning, the Bypass Ground did not need a pitch inspection for this FA Women's National League Division One South West encounter.

Buckland visited the south coast having been beaten 3-0 the week before by Southampton FC and were looking for their first win since the season opener.

While Aaron Smith's team were hoping for an instant reaction to the 2-0 loss to Cheltenham Town.

There was only one change to the starting line-up as Kayleigh Tonks started and Gracie White was on the bench plus Sarah Bradshaw had received a call-up to the firsts.

Tonks eager to impress looked dangerous in the early exchanges; she drilled a low cross into the box before the forward then had a one-on-one which were both well dealt with by Bond.

It wasn't just the hosts who were keen to start brightly as Kellie Warren won two crucial challenges against Buckland's Sarah Stacey and Alex Hugh in the opening 10 minutes.

Opportunities were been carved out by both teams but neither team truly tested the goalkeepers until the 27th minute.

A Lauren Cheshire throw into the box was headed on by Áine McKeever where Yeates was quickest to react to head the ball towards goal.

That broke the deadlock and also took the forward to six goals in six games however, that proved to be her last involvement in the game as she was taken off with concussion.

Buckland put the pressure on the Southampton defence but couldn't find a way through to face Rose Kite while down the other end Tonks nearly made it two.

The young forward's effort went wide with a first time on the volley curling shot.

Kite was quick to react when McKeever's back pass didn't make it too her, the keeper blocking the shot of Stacey.

After the break, it was the visitors who were livelier as Kite had to parry Warren's defensive header out for a corner.

White had replaced Yeates in the first half and was having a good game, recovering in defence and winning back possession before driving forwards.

It was a frustrating second-half for the hosts who were caught offside several times Emily Wernham and substitute Laura Vokes falling foul of the trap.

The passages of play were more frantic in places until Southampton began to settle on the ball which resulted in Cheshire almost doubling the lead with a header of her own.

Into the final stages and White drove out of defence with conviction before picking out May for a left-footed strike that caught well.

Buckland really began to shore up the defence as the clock ticked down with three players all denying Vokes and Wernham even a sniff at goal.

Wernham had a great chance late on to make it two, using her pace to run through onto the ball but she couldn't get the ball on target from the angle.

Full-time came with a well deserved three points and clean sheet for the reds who rose to second in the league.


Next up it's another home game as Poole Town revisit the Bypass Ground but this time in the National League.

Kick-off is 2:00pm on Sunday, September 29th at Romsey Town FC with entry £4 for adults, £2 for concessions and all accompanied under-16s get in for free.

98 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All